We are Dorcas and we desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. This is how we follow Jesus Christ.
We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission. We have country offices in Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
In our International Office (IO), in particular in the Programs and Knowledge Support department, we are looking for an experienced colleague with a heart for vulnerable people in Eastern Europe, who can fulfil the roles of:
Strategic Country Advisor (SCA, 0.3 FTE) and Expert Entrepreneurial People (EP, 0.5 FTE)
- Employment 0.8 FTE
- To be stationed in Andijk, the Netherlands
- This position will require frequent travel
As SCA, you will be linked as sparring partner to the country director in Ukraine, and will be responsible for:
- Offering advice and support on strategy development, strategic focus & programmatic coherence, external positioning, consortium development, institutional fundraising and mobilization of local resources of the Dorcas Country Office (CO) in Ukraine;
- Facilitating and mobilizing different types of support to the CO – involving and collaborating with different parts/clusters of the Dorcas IO;
- Supporting developing & updating the Country Strategic Plan (CSP), the Country Annual Plan (CAP) and new propositions;
- Ensuring that the project portfolio of the CO is aligned with the Dorcas strategy and the CSP;
- Facilitating/supporting the assessment of CO capacity and performance, and coordinating the capacity building program for the CO staff and partners; and linking the CO team to developments/initiatives in other Dorcas COs;
- Contributing to consortium building from the Netherlands, maintaining contact with Dutch/EU focal points and on needs base co-developing briefing notes/ program approaches/etc.;
- Contributing to the development and implementation of regional strategies for Dorcas in Eastern Europe, in collaboration with the Country Directors and other SCAs in the region.
As Expert Entrepreneurial People – with a focus on Eastern Europe, you will be responsible for:
- (a) Providing functional expertise, operational advice and support to COs in Eastern Europe in Entrepreneurial People (EP) programming (promoting and supporting employability & entrepreneurship, and inclusive market development); (b) ensuring coherence and effective linkages between different Dorcas humanitarian, social and economic approaches, which includes asset-based community development, community safety nets, (self-)employability and entrepreneurship; and (c) stimulating social entrepreneurship and mobilization of local resources and communities. This entails the following parts:
- On-demand support to ongoing programs: technical advice, training & coaching of staff and partners, program implementation and monitoring, accountability to donors, involvement in pilots/research, evaluation and learning of programs;
- On-demand support to the development of new programs in collaboration with CO staff, partner organizations and/or consortium members (multi-stakeholder collaboration); and support to the development of high-quality program propositions for institutional donors, and co-write/support the writing of concept notes and full proposals;
- Contributing to expertise, concept and policy development within the IO and CO, and to the positioning of Dorcas. You will do so, being a member of the cluster for knowledge development and the EP intervention team within Dorcas; ensuring that evidence of Dorcas approaches and theories of change are strengthened and shared. This also involves participation in relevant networks, keeping up to date with developments and trends in the sector and region, developing/adjusting (in cooperation with others) concepts, tools, methods and training materials.
- A minimum of a MA/MSc in a relevant field. Candidates with a BA/BSc with extensive, relevant working experience are also invited to apply;
- More than 5 years of relevant experience in Eastern Europe in the design, implementation and evaluation of Humanitarian Aid/Development programs (in particular in the required area of expertise);
- Preferably knowledge and/or experience in mobilization of local resources and communities;
- Ability to easily switch from strategic support to very practical support;
- Experience in fundraising among different parties (private, corporate and institutional funds), and in writing high quality project proposals;
- Proactive attitude, flexible personality, strong interpersonal, communication & networking skills;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in an Eastern European and cross-cultural environment;
- Excellent command of the English and preferably Dutch language;
- Being a Christian, adhering to the Christian identity of Dorcas;
- Full support for the vision and mission of Dorcas.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. We offer a suitable pay (salary scale 9, ranging from €2.608,- to €3.717,-) and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12 month contract. Depending on your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to submit their cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than March 25th, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas, being a Christian organization. Applicants must be entitled to live and work in the Netherlands. Dorcas will not apply for a work permit for this vacancy.
For more information about this position please contact Mr. Leen Stok, Manager International Programs, at email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An (e) assessment may be part of the recruitment process.