We are Dorcas and we desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. This is how we follow Jesus Christ.
We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission. We have country offices in Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
In Mozambique, Dorcas has been operating for over 10 years. Our programs in Mozambique focus on entrepreneurial WASH, innovative solutions on access to clean water, sustainable agriculture, business development and building community safety nets for children and elderly to guarantee social inclusion and protection against vulnerability. From our country office in Chimoio, we manage programs in Sofala and Manica provinces. Our programs are a mix of self-implementation and implementation via partners. We manage both relief and long-term development programs, and are building our expertise in Nexus by linking relief, rehabilitation and development.
Currently we are recruiting an experienced and ambitious:
Employment: 1.0 FTE
Duration: 1 year with possible renewal of contract
Posting: Chimoio, Mozambique
Open to nationals only
Purpose of the position
The Country Director develops and implements the strategy of Dorcas in Mozambique. To ensure the strategy is executed successfully the Country Director leads the management of the country and, within the framework of an agreed Country Annual Plan, delivers an increasing number of high quality programs, successfully creates and capitalizes on fundraising opportunities, is responsible for strategic stakeholder management and sound financial management. The Country Director is responsible for the long term and overall success of the programs in Mozambique. Furthermore, the Country Director is responsible for team management & development and quality control & evaluation.
The Country Director will be responsible for:
- Representing Dorcas in Mozambique;
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing of the Country Strategic and Annual Plan, within the framework of the Dorcas strategy and policies;
- Ensuring high quality program design, project proposals and project implementation;
- Identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities for further growth and expansion of the program portfolio in Mozambique;
- Developing new partnerships with local organizations and other (I)NGOs;
- Providing leadership for the logistical, financial, HRM and administrative management of the projects implemented by Dorcas and local partners;
- Maintaining and establishing successful strategic relations with embassies, international donors, INGOs, local government bodies, UN coordination structures and other relevant stakeholders;
- Responsible for ensuring strong and outstanding collaborative relations with the Dorcas International Office;
- Providing sufficient security, technical advice and support to field staff and partner organizations;
- Ensuring of (local) partner’s quality in implementation standards, guidelines and reporting;
- Timely submission of reports to all stakeholders, including donors according to their requirements;
- Responsible for developing an organizational culture that reflects the values of Dorcas;
- Responsible for creating an environment of continuous learning, where staff is encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an ambitious, entrepreneurial and high energy professional with significant experience in program management in humanitarian aid or international development, to be part of a dynamic country organization. Specific requirements include:
- This position is open to nationals only;
- Master’s degree in International Development, Humanitarian Action, Disaster Management, Business or other relevant field;
- Minimum of five years relevant working experience in (senior) program management in humanitarian aid/ international development;
- Experienced with Disaster/Development Management;
- Proven track record in identifying, creating and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities;
- Knowledge of and experience in coordination within the UN cluster system;
- Demonstrated experience in representing a non-profit organization and building personal and professional networks at a senior level;
- Good understanding of program, financial and operational management processes; preferably experience with change management;
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development;
- Experience building, leading and developing a growing team of staff with different backgrounds and expertise, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance;
- Extensive experience working in an international, fragile and cross cultural context;
- Experience in managing safety & security needs;
- Results driven and motivated by a sense of performance excellence;
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written (including presentation skills);
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, interpersonal and cross cultural sensitivity;
- Settled character with ability to cope with stressful, delicate and possibly dangerous situations;
- Fluent in English and Portuguese;
- Being a Christian, adhering to the Christian identity of Dorcas and experienced conveying the Christian identity to team members;
- Full support for the vision and mission of Dorcas.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. Dorcas offers a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12 month contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than June 21st, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas, being a Christian organisation. For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact Mr. David Karelse, Recruitment Officer, at email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this advert before the confirmed closing date. Should you wish to apply for this post you are kindly advised to submit your application as soon as possible. An assessment will be part of the recruitment process.
All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policy (including PSEA requirements). Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal record checks.